How to pack a Healthy School Lunch
Packing your kid’s lunches for school means you know which food they are putting into those little bodies. Here are some creative and cost effective ideas to keep kids happy and healthy at lunchtime:
The Classic Sandwich
While some kids like the same thing every day, others may prefer to change it up.
- Use different breads, switch between brown and best of both, whole wheat and rye, there are so many choices!
- In addition to lettuce and tomato, try shredded some carrot or zucchini. You can even add sliced apple or pear with a chicken sandwich.
- Try swapping out cheese or mayo for avocado or hummus.
- Making something as simple as a “sloppy joe” with mince bread can be delish.
- Left over chicken always makes for a good chicken mayo sandwich
Gotta Love the Leftovers
Think about using the leftovers from one of the kids favourite dinner dishes for a next day lunch.
- Spaghetti mince
- Chicken and rice
- Chicken salad
- Classic cottage pie
Everyone likes a Dip
Sometimes it’s ok to let your kids play with their food, especially when it’s healthy. Try packing one of these dippers
- Carrot, celery and sweet pepper strips to dip into hummus, fresh salsa or homemade bean dip.
- Apple and pear slices to dip into low-fat plain yogurt or peanut butter.
- Whole-grain crackers to dunk into soup.
Get Them Involved
When kids help pack their lunch, they’re more likely to eat that lunch! On nights you have some time to spare have them choose which piece of fruit or what type bread they want and let them put their lunch together.